- Who can apply for funding?
- What grants are available to apply for?
- What if I don’t know which Priority Area to select?
- Is there a cap on Competitive Grant requests?
- How do we submit a BCF Grant Application?
- May we submit more than one application to the BCF Grant Cycle?
- Do you share our grant application with BCF donors?
- How long does the grant process take?
- Who decides if our grant request will be funded or not?
- What are the evaluation criteria?
- Do you fund staffing?
- How will we know the outcome of our grant application?
- May we contact BCF before submitting our application?
- What type of reporting is required if we receive a grant?
Who can apply for funding?
Organizations that are recognized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, School, Government Agency, Church or Religious Organization, or that have a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and serve Benton County may submit funding requests. Funding is not provided for organizations that discriminate by race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, or national origin, political campaigns or candidates, lobby activities, religious organizations for inherently religious purposes, or private individuals.
What grants are available to apply for?
You may apply for a Competitive Grant during our grant cycle (January 8 –March 15).
BCF Competitive Grants focus on local funding opportunities that are tailored to support the long term success of children, youth and families throughout Benton County. All competitive grant requests must be for a project which supports the growth, development, and success of children, youth and or families in Benton County. Applicants must select one of the following priorities on the grant application:
- Basic Needs – e.g., school supplies, emergency food
- Arts and Culture – e.g., art programs, musical opportunities for youth
- Science, Technology and the Environment – e.g., nature or technology-focused summer camps or after school programs
- Investing in Youth – e.g., enrichment activities, parent education, mentorship, early literacy, scholarships
- Elizabeth Starker Cameron Memorial Fund – One $5,600 grant for a project that promotes voting and citizenship responsibilities.
What if I don’t know which priority area to select?
You can see examples of past projects funded in each priority area here. When determining what priority area to select consider what the primary outcome of the project. Refer to your mission what does it say about your priorities.
Is there a cap on Competitive Grant requests?
Yes, the cap for 2022 is $10,000. There are two grant funding levels: grant requests of $5,000 or less and grant requests $5,001-$10,000. However, we only have $130,554 available in our awards pool. The average grant award in 2021 was $5,169 and the award range is usually $3,000 to $7,000.
How do we submit a BCF Grant Application?
BCF applications are available on January 10, 202/2. Applications may be downloaded and must be typed and returned to our offices no later than 5:00pm on March 15, 2022. All BCF applications may be submitted through the new online portal.
May we submit more than one application to the BCF Grant Cycle?
Yes, as long as projects are distinctly different.
Do you share our grant application with BCF donors?
Yes, we may share the applications with our Donor Advised Funds. Grant applications may be shared with interested donors throughout the year.
How will we know that you’ve received our grant application?
You will receive an email when your application has been submitted.
How long does the grant process take?
Each grant request is carefully reviewed and evaluated. The process can take up to 7 weeks.
Who decides if our grant request will be funded or not?
Your application is first reviewed by the Grants Manager to ensure all the necessary information is included. Grants are reviewed by members of our community and forwarded by the BCF Grants Committee to the BCF Board for final approval.
What are the evaluation criteria?
The three main categories are Impact on Community, Project Feasibility, and Sustainability/Organizational Capacity. Please see the BCF Competitive Grant Cycle Review Process on the website.
Do you fund staffing?
We will consider requests for operational support and encourage you to have a clear plan outlined for sustainability of your organization’s operations – especially when it comes to continuing salaries after BCF funding ends. Requests for operational support must also fit in one of the priority areas listed above.
How will we know the outcome of our grant application?
After final approval by the BCF Board you will be notified of your grant status by the Grants Manager. If awarded a grant you will be sent a grant acceptance agreement which will give you all the necessary information on your grant award.
May we contact BCF before submitting our application?
The Grants Manager is happy to have an informal conversation with you about your project or application.
What type of reporting is required if we receive a grant?
Within thirty (30) days of the grant termination date, or earlier provided the funds have been expended, you will be required to submit a written report to BCF describing the impact of your project. Impact Report forms will be available on the BCF website or by contacting the Grants Manager.