Director of Philanthropic Gifts
The Benton Community Foundation is seeking a full-time (40 hours per week) Director of Philanthropic Gifts to support the Foundation’s fundraising efforts. This position helps further the Foundation’s commitment to provide excellent service to donors, professional advisors, the Board, volunteers, and the community at large.
An ideal candidate for the Director of Philanthropic Gifts position must be a proactive self-starter who is flexible, creative, energetic, and enjoys being an active participant in their community. Candidates should be inquisitive, enjoy learning the interests of others, and matching those interests to local needs.
- Reports to: President/CEO
- Position Status: 1.0 FTE, Salaried Exempt
- Compensation: Salary $60K – $75K dependent on experience
The Director of Philanthropic Gifts is responsible for fundraising, managing a portfolio of existing and prequalified donors, event management and logistics, and community engagement. This position is critical to accomplishing Benton Community Foundation’s (BCF) strategic goals of increasing the Foundation’s community grant capabilities, expanding the Foundation’s donor base, and maintaining a positive public image for BCF. The Director role requires integrity, flexibility, and the ability to represent the Foundation’s mission to a broad audience.
Duties & Responsibilities
60% – Major Gift Stewardship
- Collaborate with President/CEO, staff, and board to enhance operational, major gift and bequest program revenue through regular donor identification, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation
- Research, manage, and provide ethical stewardship to a donor prospect portfolio of 90-110 contacts
- Move forward gift prospects by calling, emailing, meeting in person, and drafting proposals regularly
- Manage donor cultivation activities in a database to provide accurate and timely reports
20% – Community Engagement and Presentations
- Represent BCF in the community by delivering presentations and effectively communicating organizational mission, policies, practices, and values to a wide range of constituencies
- Provide leadership for Development Committee members in partnership with President/CEO
- Support Foundation initiatives by securing project information and creating informational content
- Provide confidential support to the BCF Leadership Team
20% – Event Management
- Implement donor engagement strategies by managing community-focused events that create revenue, promote philanthropic giving, and educate community members about the Foundation
- Coordinate with staff, Board, and donors to ensure successful event outcomes including but not limited to creating/implementing program elements, guest identification, and post-event stewardship
- Other duties as assigned
Education / Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Five (5) years of experience and/or training in direct financial solicitation “asks,” fundraising concepts and principles, event management and communications, sales or public relations
- Proven track record of building and maintaining long-term relationships that support increased stakeholder financial investment and participation in organizations comparable to BCF
- A demonstrable commitment to and willingness to support equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills
- Strong editing and research abilities, excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to analyze data to produce reports and/or provide presentations
- Knowledge of MS Office products and experience using CRM databases (Foundant, Raiser’s Edge, etc.)
- Client/donor stewardship experience including event planning and implementation experience
- Background check, ability to be bonded, and valid driver’s license with access to reliable personal vehicle, proof of insurance, and ability to pass a driving record check mandatory
Hours & Compensation
This position is full-time salaried exempt. The typical work week will be Monday through Fridays from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 PM, with regular evening and weekend hours required. Compensation commensurate with experience ranging from $60,000 to $75,000. 100% employee premium paid for medical insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan, monthly cell phone stipend, and organizational value of work/life balance with flexibility.
About the Foundation
BCF has been investing in local communities since 1953, making the Foundation one of the longest-standing community foundations in Oregon. BCF works diligently with philanthropists to create permanent charitable funds that help meet the challenges of changing times and is dedicated to improving the quality of life for people in the mid-Willamette Valley.
We consistently grow our capacity to provide leadership, expertise, and capital to address social issues. We also serve as a resource for nonprofit, civic, government, and philanthropic organizations, collaborating with an array of local groups to leverage funds and achieve a more strategic impact. BCF is the only nationally accredited community foundation in the state of Oregon.
- Mission: To enhance our communities through philanthropy.
- Vision: We envision a future where we further the aspirations of children, youth, and families; invest in resilient and healthy communities; and protect cherished resources for future generations.
- Values: We value integrity, respect, innovation, excellent stewardship, collaboration, and equity in our grant making. Most of all, we honor the trust placed in us by respecting our donors’ wishes.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Philanthropic Gifts” in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled, with application review to begin on September 8th, 2020.
Benton Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Applications for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.